Whenever I make cream puffs, they get snapped up. I love making them, but they are a little time consuming. So here’s a way to enjoy the decadent taste experience of a cream puff without a lot of the finicky work that’s involved. Behold, the chocolate eclair cake. Looks great, feeds a whole bunch of people and is simple to put together. It also works very well as a parev dessert.
CHOCOLATE ECLAIR CAKE
For the pastry
8 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
1 cup water
1 cup flour
4 large eggs
For the cream filling
4 cups milk or soy milk
3 sachets. instant vanilla pudding
1 container cream cheese, softened (225g/8 oz) (for parev you can use one container of Tofutti cream cheese or you can add one more sachet of vanilla pudding)
1 cup sweet cream or non dairy cream
300g (12 oz) dark chocolate
100 g (4 oz) butter or margarine
How to do it
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat butter/margarine and water over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Add flour all at once. Reduce heat to low and stir quickly until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the pan (this will take a few seconds only). Make sure all the flour is stirred into the liquid mixture.
- Allow the mixture to cool for about 5 minutes. Then beat in eggs, one at a time, combining well after each egg.
- On a large oven tray covered with baking paper, spread the dough into a large round shape, creating a lip around the sides. The base will expand in baking, so leave space around the sides. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese with a mixer until smooth and add the milk slowly while still beating. Add pudding powder and beat until thickened. Spread over cooled shell and allow to set – at least half an hour in the fridge.
- To make the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate and butter/margarine over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Very carefully spread over the top of the vanilla pudding, making sure not to mix the chocolate with the vanilla filling.
- Keep refrigerated until serving. Serve on the same day.Serves about 20.