1½ cups finely grated carrot
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup non-dairy almond milk
1/3 cup light extra virgin olive oil or other oil
1½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1½ cups whole grain spelt flour or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup raisins, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water and drained
¼ cup chopped walnuts
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
½ cup Tofutti cream cheese
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Icing sugar to reach a thick pouring consistency (about 1 cup)
How to do it
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a small loaf pan (20cm x11cm x 6cm) with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the carrot, maple syrup, milk, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and lemon zest.
3. Add the dry ingredients – flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until just combined. Fold in the raisins and chopped walnuts – do not overmix.
4. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. For the glaze, mix the Tofutti cream cheese and the lemon juice in a small bowl till combined well. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth, and a thick pouring consistency. Drizzle over the cake by pouring it across teh top and letting it pour over the sides.