The perfect side dish for your brisket, and it tastes perfect.
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium-sized head of red cabbage
2 large onions sliced
2 cloves of garlic crushed
200g tomato paste
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup water
A sprinkle of chili powder (if you can’t get KFP chili powder, leave it out, but try to add something with a little heat)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
How to do it
1. Finely shred the cabbage (I use a knife, but you can do it in a food processor using the large cutting blade)
2. In a large pot, heat the oil, add the onions and saute them until they are wilted (do not brown them).
3. Add the crushed garlic cloves to the onions. Stir the garlic into the onions for a few seconds, just until they start cooking, and then add the cabbage and stir together. Continue sauteing for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, water, chili, salt and pepper. Bring it all to the boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 30-45 minutes or until the cabbage is completely soft, stirring occasionally.
4. Add more seasoning if required.