1½ packets of Petite Beurre biscuits crushed (about 2 cups crumbs)
100 g (3.5 oz) melted butter or margarine
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
3 tablespoons room temperature water
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup sweet cream or non-dairy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar or powdered sugar (do not use if using non-dairy cream, which is sweetened already)
How to do it
1. Line the bottom of a 28 cm (11 inch) spring form pan with baking paper
2. Mix the crumbs and the melted butter and evenly line the bottom of the pan (I use the bottom of a cup measure to flatten the crumbs). Place in the refrigerator to set while you prepare the mousse.
3. Mix the gelatin and the water in a small saucepan. Over low heat, stir constantly until all the gelatin granules dissolve (a few minutes). Set aside to cool.
4. In a small saucepan, whisk the lemon juice, ¾ cup sugar and yolks together until combined. Bring to a low boil (very small bubbles) over medium heat while constantly stirring (about 5 minutes), making sure the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to thicken up a little – about 5 minutes. Add the gelatin, mix well, strain into a separate bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. (Note: By straining this mixture, you will remove all those hard bits of egg that aren’t pleasant to bite into, so it’s worth the little bit of extra effort.)
5. In a mixer, whisk the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt until you reach very stiff peaks. On the lowest beating speed, add the lemon mixture and mix till just combined. Remove from the mixer and fold the mixture gently until there is no more egg white showing.
6. Pour the mousse over the crumbs, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
7. Beat the cream and vanilla/powdered sugar (use sugar for dairy version only) and spread over the top of the cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Tip: Use a knife dipped in boiling water to cut the cake for a smooth slice. Serves about 12-14