1-2 large fennel bulbs
2 large beets
1-2 heads of garlic (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (for serving)
How to do it
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Line a large roasting pan with baking paper and grease it with some of the olive oil.
3. Fennel – slice off the base of the fennel, and tops and peel the outer layer. Chop into large bit size chunks.
4. Kohlrabi – peel the kohlrabi and cut them into large bite size chunks.
5. Beets – peel the beets and cut them into bite size chunks that are smaller than the kohlrabi and the fennel as the beets take a little longer to cook.
6. Place all the veggies in the baking dish, including the whole heads of garlic, sprinkle with salt and the remaining olive oil and toss to coat all the veggies in oil. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a fork smoothly enters a piece of beet.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Squeeze the garlic out of the peels into the veggies (if using), sprinkle with Balsamic vinegar, toss around and serve at room temperature or warm.
Serves about 6 people.