4 egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
How to do it
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF) and grease two 20cm (8 inch) round cake pans or one 33×22 cm (13×9 inch) baking pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds or till soft. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Add egg whites to the butter one at a time, beating very well in high speed after each addition.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the mixer alternating with the buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan(s).
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. (For cupcakes, bake for about 15 minutes or until light brown.)
- 6. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting with desired frosting.
7. Frost with cream cheese frosting