SLOW COOKED MOROCCAN CHICKEN, APRICOT AND CHICKPEA TAGINE
1kg (2lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts
Flour for pan frying seasoned with salt, cumin, cinnamon and pepper. (About 1 cup, or as needed)
1 tablespoon flour
2 large onions roughly chopped
4-6 garlic cloves crushed
1 knob of fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup dried apricots
100g (3.5 oz) tomato paste
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 sweet potato cubed
3 potatoes cubed in small cubes (bite sized)
2 carrots thinly sliced
3 tablespoons honey of silan (date honey)
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon turmeric or a few hairs of saffron
1 teaspoon ground coriander (flakes)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for a hint of heat)
Salt and pepper
A handful of chopped fresh coriander
How to do it
1. Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces (about 5-6 cm in length) and dip in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan and pan fry each piece for about a minute on each side (do not brown), and set aside.
3. In the pan in which you fried the chicken, saute the onions and garlic until just soft (do not brown).
4. Add they honey/silan, tomato paste and chicken stock to the pan and mix in. Then sprinkle the flour and mix till there are no lumps.
5. Add all the spices and the chopped tomatoes and mix through.
6. Place the vegetables, chick peas, chicken pieces, apricots and the sauce in the slow cooker, give it a mix to ensure that all the ingredients are coated in the sauce.
7. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Serves about 6. Serve with cous cous or rice.