2 kg (4 lbs) beef ribs (with or without the bones)
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
½ tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chipotle powder (if you don’t have, then increase all your other spices by a little to make up the one teaspoon)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1½ tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 cups ketchup or tomato paste
½ cup silan / golden syrup / molasses
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup of blackberry jam or preserves
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon of the spice rub
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional but recommended)
How to do it
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF)
- Cut the ribs into 6 pieces, wash and dry well. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the spice rub together in a small bowl and set aside 1 tablespoon for use in the sauce. Rub the rest of the spice rub evenly over each piece of meat and place each piece on the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes on each side.
- While the meat is in the oven, add all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring now and again. Set about a cup of the sauce aside to serve the meat with.
- Spray the bowl of the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Spread some of the sauce on the bottom of the bowl. Add the meat and the then the rest of the sauce, making sure all the meat is covered with sauce.
- Cook on high heat for 4-5 hours or on low heat for 7-9 hours. The meat should be tender and falling apart when it is done.
Serves about 8.