3 medium sized potatoes (to make about 3 cups of grated potato)
1 small onion
14 eggs (12 should be medium sized, 2 can be large for use in the latke mixture)
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
How to do it
1. Grate the potatoes (not finely) and the onion.
2. Rinse the potatoes in water to get rid of the starch and place them in a colander to drain – leave them to drain for about half and hour (at least). Squeeze out as much liquid as you can with your hands.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
4. In a mixing bowl combine the potato, onion, 2 eggs, flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Liberally oil a 12-cup muffin tin.
6. Add about 2 tablespoons of potato mixture to each cup, and spread it up the sides, to the top of the cup, leaving a nest in the middle. Do not fill too much or there won’t be place for the eggs.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and carefully break the remaining eggs into the latke nests.
9. Return to the oven for about 8-12 minutes. 12 minutes will give you hard yolks. Check to see when they are done to your taste.
Serve hot. Add smoked salmon on the side to upgrade the dish.
Makes 12 servings.