Ingredients (for about 10 latkes)
3 medium sized potatoes (to make about 3 cups of grated potato)
1 small onion
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Grate the potatoes (not finely) and the onion.
3. Rinse the potatoes in water to get rid of the starch and place them in a colander to drain – leave them to drain for about half and hour (at least). (Don’t worry if the potatoes start getting brown, it won’t make a difference once they’re baked.) Squeeze out as much liquid as you can with your hands.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the potato, onion, eggs, flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Place a piece of baking paper on a large baking tray and spread the oil on the paper evenly. Drop about one tablespoon of the mixture on the paper and flatten it a bit with the spoon or a spatula and tuck in any loose strands of potato so they don’t burn. Squeeze any excess egg mixture out of the batter before you drop it on the tray.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Then turn over each latke and bake for another 15 minutes or until both sides are browned (you don’t have to add more oil – there will be oil left on the paper).
Serve with sour cream and home made apple sauce.