1 bunch of beets (about 6 small beets) with stems and leaves
Cold water (about 2 liters/quarts) to more than cover the beets
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of vinegar
Sugar to taste
Salt and pepper
Accompaniments: Finely chopped cucumber, sour cream or sweet cream, small boiled baby potatoes
How to do it
- Very thouroughly wash the beets so there is no grit left. Cut the beet bulbs off the stems, and peel and cut in half. Grate them in a food processor on the coarse blade. Chop the stems into half inch/1.5 cm pieces. Shred the leaves.
- Put all the beet parts into a large pot and cover with the water – water should be about 4cm (2 inches) above the level of the beets. Being to the boil and reduce to a simmer for about half an hour (or until the beets are cooked through). Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you can boild the beet halves for about half an hour or until a fork can slide into the beets, and then hand grate them. Don’t over cook them because they will coninue cooking with the stems and leaves for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add sugar (about 1-2 tablespoons).
- Allow to cool completely, and then add the lemon juice vinegar and salt and pepper. Keep tasting till you get the right level of acidity.
- Serve cold with whatever accompaniments you like.
Serves about 8.