500 g noodles (preferably macaroni noodles, but small elbow noodles or small penne work just fine too)
2 cups milk + 1/4 cup (don’t use low fat)
100g tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons corn flour
About 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (adjust according to your personal taste)
2-3 cups of Kellogs cornflakes (Telma cornflakes are too sweet for this dish)
1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil
How to do it
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F)
2. Spray a lasagna pan with non-stick spray
3. In a large pasta pot, cook the noodles according to the directions on the bag
4. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the milk and add the tomato paste and spices over high heat.
5. Dissolve the corn flour in the 1/4 cup of milk, stirring until there are no lumps
6. As the milk mixture in the saucepan comes to the boil, add the cornflour mixture while stirring. Bring to the boil (it will thicken) and turn the flame down to low and add the grated cheese, stirring until you get a smooth sauce and turn off the flame.
7. Drain the noodles and mix the cheesy sauce into the pot.
8. Crush the cornflakes in a bowl (make sure all the large pieces are broken up) and add the oil, stirring so all the cornflakes are coated.
9. Pour the noodles into the greased dish and sprinkle the cornflakes evenly over the top, covering the whole surface of the dish.
10. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown.