½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water
1¼ cups flour
1/3 cup parev chocolate chips
350 grams (12 ounces) parev dark/semi-sweet chocolate
How to do it
1. Using an electric mixer, beat margarine and brown sugar on high speed until properly creamed for about 5 minutes (to ensure that there are no gritty bits of sugar left)
2. Add vanilla, salt and water and mix till combined.
3. Add flour and mix till combined.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips by hand. Cover dough and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
5. Line two baking sheets with baking paper. With your (very clean) hands, roll the dough into balls that are about 2 cm/1 inch in diameter, and place them on the baking sheets. Freeze for at least 20 minutes.
6. Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler (bring about 5cm/2 inches of water to the boil in a medium-sized pot. In a smaller pot that can easily fit over the bottom pot, break up the chocolate and melt it over the simmering water, making sure that the top pot does touch the water below. Stir until all melted). Allow the melted chocolate to cool to nearly room temperature.
7. Dip the dough balls. Remove one tray of cookie dough balls from the freezer. One by one, drop each ball into the melted chocolate, using two forks, roll it in the chocolate until it’s completely covered. Remove the ball and place it back on the baking sheet. When you’ve done all the balls, put the tray back in the fridge and repeat the process with the second tray.
8. Chill for at least 20 minutes and store in refrigerator until your serve them or give them as a gift.