2-3 kg (5-7 lb) brisket
1 large onion slices
3 tablespoons onion soup powder
3 tablespoon mushroom or chicken soup powder
200 g (7 oz) tomato paste
½ cup apricot jam
3 bay leaves
1 liter (2 pints) coke
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
Optional: About 15 small/medium-sized potatoes peeled and 4 large carrots peeled and cut into about 5 pieces each.
How to do it
1. If you’re using potatoes and carrots (which I recommend), place them at the bottom of the slow cooker pot with the onions. Place the brisket on top of the vegetables.
2. Mix all the remaining ingredients together, and pour over the top.
3. Cook on for 8-10 hours on low or for 4-5 hours on high.
4. Remove the brisket and allow to cool completely before slicing (it’s easier to slice when cool). To store in the fridge or freezer, cover the meat with the gravy. Do no freeze the potatoes.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Saute the onions in a little oil until just soft.
3. Grease a large roasting pan. Place the onions on the bottom and the brisket on top. If using, arrange the vegetables around the sides (for a roasting pan, you may need to use fewer vegetables.)
4. Mix all the remaining ingredients together and pour over the meat. Cover with one layer of baking paper and then a layer of foil (the baking paper prevents the foil from “bleeding” onto the meat.) Cook for about 2½-3 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
5. Remove the brisket and allow to cool completely before slicing (it’s easier to slice when cool). To store in the fridge or freezer, cover the meat with the gravy. Do no freeze the potatoes.