2/3 cups sugar
½ cup margarine/butter
½ cup honey
1½ cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 teaspoons ginger powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
How to do it
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F)
2. Line two muffin tins with #5 size cupcake liners
3. Whisk the sugar and margarine in a mixer on high speed until creamy. Add the eggs and whisk for a few minutes until the mixture has lightened and has a fluffy consistency.
4. Add the honey and mix on medium speed to combine.
5. Add all the dry ingredients and mix on slow speed until just combined – resist the urge to eat all the batter…
6. Using a tablespoon, fill the cupcakes liners no more than halfway up – the batter rises quite high in the oven, but does drop afterwards.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center of a cupcake clean.
Makes about 22 cupcakes
Frostings (recipes are each for one full batch of cupcakes)
Mix together 8 tablespoons honey, 8 tablespoons icing sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla. Slowly add hot water until you reach a runny consistency – the mixture will be slightly translucent.
Using a tablespoon, you can glaze the cupcakes when they are still warm, and they will absorb the glaze for a slightly sticky cupcake. You can also wait until they are cool to glaze.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Mix together 2/3 cup Tofutti cream cheese and 3 teaspoons of honey till smooth. Gradually add about 5-6 cups of icing sugar, until you reach a spreading consistency. Note: With the Tofutti cheese, you will always have a slightly runny consistency. If you use regular cream cheese, you will achieve a consistency that’s more stable and can easily be piped out of a bag if required. If you want to pipe the frosting, you will need a larger quantity of frosting.
Spread frosting on completely cooled cupcakes.