1¼ cup butter/margarine
1 tablespoon golden syrup or honey (you can buy golden syrup in specialty food stores in Israel such as Meatland in Ra’anana)
2 cups oats (I use the quick cooking oats, but you can also use regular)
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
How to make it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Mix the flour, oats and coconut in a bowl.
3. Cut the butter into pieces and melt over medium heat in a saucepan. When the butter has melted, add the syrup/honey and brown sugar and heat till it just starts bubbling. Then add the baking soda, stir through and remove from heat.
4. Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir together making sure all the dry ingredients are covered with the butter mixture.
5. Line a medium-sized baking pan with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray. Press the mixture into the pan with a spoon or the bottom of a metal measuring cup, spreading it evening across the base of the pan.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 160°C (300°F) for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown, making sure not to burn the top.
7. Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and cut into bars – makes about 48 bars. Cool completely before eating otherwise the bars will crumble.