1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup oil
1 cup cake meal
3 eggs separated
The rind of 1 lemon
The juice of 1 lemon
3 large apples (preferably green) peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup of walnuts finely chopped (optional)
Some extra sugar and cinnamon
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Place apple slices in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and mix. Add the walnuts and mix in (if using)
3. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick and lemon colored. Add the lemon juice, rind and oil and mix. Add the cake meal and salt and beat at low speed.
4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Fold them into the yolk mixture, until there is no more egg white is visible.
5. Grease a 20X20cm (8X8 inch) baking dish. Pour half of the batter into the dish. Then add all the apples, and finish it off with the rest of the battter on top. (You can also use a round dish and serve as a cake)
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool and cut into squares.