1 medium-sized eggplant, peeled
2 large zucchinis
2 red peppers
For the marinade
½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
3 tablespoons silan (date honey) or 2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
A few drops sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic crushed
About 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
How to do it
1. Cut the vegetables into similar-sized cubes.
2. Mix all marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the vegetables and mix around so they get coated with the marinade. Allow to sit for about half an hour, but if you’re in a hurry, you can leave them for about 15 minutes, and they will soak up the marinade too. (If you don’t have enough liquid, then add a little extra soy sauce)
3. Soak wooden skewers in water for about half and hour (this stops them from burning on the BBQ).
4. Thread the pieces of vegetable on the skewers, alternating the different vegetables for a cheerful look (I put 6 pieces per skewer)
5. Cook on the BBQ until the pepper starts softening – make sure the eggplant doesn’t burn.
Makes about 20 skewers.