2 tablespoons olive oil
4-6 large zucchinis sliced lengthways into half centimeter (¼ inch) slices (if you only have small zucchinis, then make sure you have enough to cover two full oven trays). Slice off a thin slice of skin on either side of the zucchini so that there aren’t any slices that are half skin.
300 g (12 oz) grated Mozzarella
400g (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
4-5 garlic cloves crushed
6-8 fresh chopped basil leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
250 g (½lb) ricotta cheese (you can also use cottage cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste
100 g (4 oz) grated Parmesan or Emmental cheese (any cheese with a nice tang)
How to do it
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
2. Line two large baking trays with baking paper and lightly spread them with olive oil. Line the trays with the sliced zucchini – squeeze them all in there; there’s no need for space between the slices.
3. Roast for about half an hour till just starting to get color, turning them over halfway through. (Make sure not to overcook them as they will get too soft and you won’t be able to handle them.)
3. In a small saucepan, heat some olive oil and fry the garlic just until it starts to get golden. Add the crushed tomato, chopped fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper, and sugar. Allow to come to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. In a bowl, combine the egg, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper. Mix till combined. Set aside.
5. To assemble, grease a medium-sized baking dish with a little olive oil or cooking spray. Evenly spread about 4-5 tablespoons of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish.
6. Place a layer of zucchini strips on top of the tomato sauce, trying to cover as much of the area as possible. Spread the ricotta mixture over the tomato sauce, spread about one third of the tomato sauce over the ricotta, and then sprinkle about half the grated Mozzarella over the tomato sauce.
7. Add another layer of the zucchini strips on top of the cheese, and spread another one third of the tomato sauce over it, followed by the rest of the Mozarella.
8. Add a final layer of zucchini strips, followed by tomato sauce and the Parmesan or Emmental cheese, spreading it evenly over the top of the dish.
9. Bake at 180ºC (350ºF) for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese starts browning slightly.
Serves about 8 as a side dish.