1¼ cup sugar
1½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon blue coloring gel
1 cup cold water
How to do it
1. Preheat oven to 180°c, line a muffin tin with #5 cupcake liners (about 16)
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl by hand
3. Add all liquids and mix together till combined. Make sure you mix the gel in very well so you don’t get streaks.
4. Pour into the prepared cupcakes liners (about 2 tablespoons per cupcake).
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
1/3 cup margarine softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
About 3-4 cups of powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon blue coloring gel
How to do it
1. Mix the margarine and the vanilla till combined.
2. Slowly, add the powdered sugar, mixing until the frosting reaches spreading consistency (make sure it’s not runny at all – the frosting should stick fast to a spoon)
3. Using the back of a spoon or a small palette knife, spread the white frosting over each cupcake (I don’t make the frosting too thick.)
4. Once all the cupcakes are frosted, add the blue coloring gel to the remaining frosting and mix well till combined, making sure there are no streaks. Use immediately, otherwise the frosting separates.
5. Take a piping bag (I use the disposables, which are great) and a small round frosting tip. Snip the bottom of the bag with a scissors so that the tip fits snugly into the bottom of the bag, with the plastic of the bag ending no more than halfway up the tip. Fill the bag with your blue frosting. Holding the lower part of the bag with your left hand (if you’re left-handed) firmly squeeze with your right hand from the top part of the bag to frost two parallel lines (some of mine aren’t too parallel!). Don’t pull the tip across the cupcake too quickly to ensure that the line isn’t too thin. Then make your Magen David in the middle. If your lines are a little too thin, pipe a second line over them.
Makes about 16 cupcakes. Can be frozen.
You can also use this recipe for party cupcakes, using other colors as well for the cake – red, green, etc.