2¼ cups flour
1½ cups sugar
2¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, at room temperature
¾ cup pureed frozen strawberries – about 8. Cut them up before you freeze them so they’re easier to puree when they’re frozen.
4 large egg whites
1/3 cup milk
Several drops of red/pink food coloring or gel paste (optional)
How to do it
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
3. In a mixer bowl, blend butter, sugar and strawberry puree. Add flour, baking powder and salt alternately with the milk until blended (batter is very thick).
4. Add whites gradually to the batter mixture, mixing until just incorporated but there’s no white showing. Note: Stop beating occasionally to scrape the bottom of the bowl so all the batter is properly incorporated.
5. Place cupcake liners (#5) into muffin tins and fill them to about ¾ full.
6. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting. I use my cream cheese frosting. For frosting you will spread, you will need one recipe. For piped, increase the butter quantity to ½ a cup, and increase the amount of powdered sugar until you get a relatively stiff frosting that barely drops off a spoon.
You can add food coloring to the cupcakes – for my daughter’s birthday, I did as she wanted them to be totally pink! I topped these cupcakes with pieces of fresh strawberries, but only add them just before serving as the strawberries start to bleed quite quickly and will make the capcakes look messy if they’re sitting for too long.
Makes about 20-24 cupcakes
5 Ways to Ruin Homemade Cupcakes (Yummly)