2 cups uncooked brown, red or mixed rice
2 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bag 300g (one prewashed bag) spinach
2 cups of grated yellow cheese (use a cheese with a lot of flavor like cheddar or emmental)
½ cup parev chicken or vegetable broth (for reheating only)
How to do it
1. Cook the rice according to the directions on the package. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate the rice until you are ready to make the whole dish.
2. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil and butter and add the onions. Fry them on medium heat until they are caramel brown in color, stirring occasionally. This will take a while (25-30 minutes).
3. Slice the spinach leaves into strips and add to the onions and let them wilt. This will take about a minute.
4. Assemble the dish by mixing the rice and grated cheese into the onions and spinach. Season to taste.
5. If you are reheating this, add some stock before reheating so that it doesn’t dry out.
Serves about 8 as a side dish.