175 g butter (6 oz) butter (you can also use margarine to make it parev, but the butter gives it a most delicious taste)
¾ cup Golden Syrup (there really is no substitute…in Israel it can be found in specialty food stores)
¾ cup brown sugar
350 g (12 oz) rolled oats (about 3½ cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (300°F). Line a 30 x 20 cm (12 x 9 inch) baking pan with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium-sized pot, melt the butter over low heat. When melted, add the syrup and sugar and stir over medium-low heat until the sugar is all dissolved.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in the oats and baking powder until all the oats are coated with the syrup mixture.
4. Press down evenly into the pan and bake for about 40 minutes. The top will look golden brown when it’s done.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the whole thing with the baking paper and place it on a cutting board. Using a long, sharp knife, cut the crunchies into squares before they are completely cooled.
Makes about 36 squares.