1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
500 g (1 lb) ground beef
1 800 g (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
100 g (3.5 oz) tomato paste
½ cup dry red wine (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and black pepper
1-2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
500 g (1 lb) spaghetti (I use at least Number 5 size for a nice bite)
How to do it
1. In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil and saute the onions until they are soft (do not brown them)
2. Add the garlic and saute for less than a minute (make sure not to let the garlic burn)
3. Add the ground beef and fry until all the meat is browned (no pink pits are left)
4. Add the crushed tomato and tomato paste and mix well.
5. Add the spices and the wine (optional). Mix together. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for up to 20 minutes until the sauce is thick and any liquid has cooked down. (If you aren’t using the wine, you can simmer for less time as you will not have to cook off the liquid from the wine.)
6. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions. Drain and add the sauce, mixing well.
Serves about 6.