1 1/3 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
100 ml (3.3 fl oz) buttermilk
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup butter melted
12 teaspoons seedless jam (preferably raspberry or cherry, but apricot is also good)
2 tablespoon powdered sugar
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C (325°F). Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking soda.
3. Mix the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and add to the flour mix. Add the melted butter and mix until just combined.
4. Fill the muffin cups to just halfway up (about one heaped tablespoon). This should leave you with about one third of the mixture to use for the top.
5. Make a little well in the center of each muffin using a teaspoon, and fill each well with a teaspoon of jam. Cover each muffin with batter (about a half a tablespoon each).
6. Bake for about 18 minutes or until the muffins are springy when touched.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Using a small hand sifter, dust each muffin generously with powdered sugar.
These are delicious when served warm, but are yummy cold as well.