3 large red onions halved and sliced (don’t slice too thinly – about ¼ inch. If you slice them too thinly, they’ll dry out in the oven)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
About 300 g (10 oz) iceberg or Arab lettuce washed and cut into bite sized pieces
About 300 g (10 oz) assorted baby leaves
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
About 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon grainy Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
Salt and ground black pepper
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
2. Place a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray and drizzle the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over it. Place the onions in an even layer on the sheet.
3. Bake the onions for 15 minutes. Then mix them around and bake them for another 10 minutes (until soft).
4. Remove from the oven and drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over the hot onions. Allow the onions to cool completely.
5. Wash, dry and place all the lettuce in a large salad bowl. Mix the onions in.
6. Put all salad dressing ingredients into a salad dressing shaker or any airtight jar and shake until well mixed.
7. Dress the salad just before serving.