2 packages (300 g/10 oz) frozen spinach or two large bags of fresh spinach wilted in a pan and chopped
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup potato starch
2 egg yolks
A pinch of nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons melted butter
½ cup Parmesan cheese (for topping)
How to do it
1. If using frozen, then thaw the spinach and allow it to sit in a strainer for at least 30 minutes to drain, and then squeeze as much water out as you can. If using fresh, cook on a dry pan until wilted (no more than 5 minutes) and chop.
2. In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, egg yolks, potato starch and seasoning. Add the spinach and mix till combined.
3. Boil a large pot of salted water. Form small patties out of the spinach mixture with your hands (not more than about 4 cm / 1½ inches long) and ease them carefully into the water. When they rise, they are done. Remove with a slotted spoon or small strainer.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
5. Butter a medium-sized baking dish and arrange the gnocchi one next to the other (no overlapping). Pour the melted butter on top and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese starts browning.
Serves about 6.