125 g (5 oz) butter/margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 lightly beaten egg
225 g (9 oz) assorted dried fruit cut into small pieces (I used apricots – naturally dried, cherries, prunes, dates, figs, apples, strawberries and yell0w raisins)
150 g (6 oz) self raising flour
How to do it
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F)
2. In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Stir until melted together. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
3. Stir in the egg, making sure to beat the mixture quickly so the egg does cook, and then stir in the fruit and finally the flour.
4. Line a 28 cm x 18 cm (11×7 inch) or the equivalent size, with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray. Pour the batter in and spread it evenly into the corners. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bars have developed a caramel colored crust.
5. Remove and allow to cool and cut into squares.
Makes 20-24 bars.